Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog ate part of a dryer sheet I know it's toxic, but

Hi Pearl My dog...

Hi Pearl My dog ate part of a dryer sheet I know it's toxic, but trying to figure out if it's a major issue

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Did you see what your dog ate?

He ate part of a bounce dryer sheet Probably half of the sheet He's a four month old, 17 lbs mini goldendoodle

1/11/2018
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Was the sheet used?

it was already used
I would guess he ate 20-40% of the sheet. Definitely less than half

1- Do you have hydrogen peroxide 3%?

I don't, but I can run out and get some. If he ate the sheet ~20-30 minutes ago and it takes ~10-15 minutes to go get the hydrogen peroxide, will that be worth it? Or will it be too late to have him throw up?

The concern would be a possible obstruction. But, it is also very likely that he can pass it in the stool. To make him vomit it should be done within 1-2 hours of ingestion. To induce vomiting this is what you can do:

1- Give him 1/2 tablespoon of hydrogen peroxide 3% orally to induce vomiting.

2- Allow him to walk for a minute and move his belly to mix stomach content with peroxide. If he does not vomit within 5-10 minutes, repeat it again. Can give a total of 3 times 5-10 minutes apart.

3- If he does not vomit or you do not see the sheet in the vomit change his diet for the next 2-3 days to rice (75%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (25%). The idea is for the rice to help pass the sheet in the feces. Make sure you check the stool for the sheet. If you do not find it within 48 hours I would have him checked by your vet for a hands-on examination.

4- If during the next 2-3 days you see the following symptoms: lethargy, anorexia, vomiting, constipated or diarrhea, etc. follow up immediately with a veterinarian. These are all signs of a possible obstruction of the intestinal tract. In the meantime, observe him and change his diet as above then wean him back into his regular diet.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service. If you have any follow-up questions don't hesitate to ask. If finished, please take a moment to rate my service it is how I get compensated. See you again soon!

Dr. Peter

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Peter