Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Swallowed a chicken wing bone whole and is now vomiting but…

Swallowed a chicken wing...

Swallowed a chicken wing bone whole and is now vomiting but no blood in the vomit or stool

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?

Rogue 2 Years old

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Rogue?

He is an Australian shepherd around 50 lbs

1/9/2018
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply ASAP.

1- How long has it been since he swallowed the bone?

2- Is he lethargic?

around this time last night
and just a bit but pretty normalhis vomit smells like poop :/

Friend, I am a bit concerned about what you are describing. It sounds like the bone may be obstructed in the gastrointestinal tract; if that is the case and it goes untreated the outcome could be fatal if the bone perforates the intestinal tract. For this reason, I would strongly recommend having him checked by a veterinarian as soon as you can for x-rays. Unfortunately, we are very limited as to what you can do at home, I am sorry. If you can not have him checked tonight by a veterinarian this is what you can do until he is seen in the morning:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or Imodium. Start him on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 10mg tablet every 12 hours for the next 2-3 days. You can buy Pepcid AC over the counter in any pharmacy.

2- No food or water for 6-8 hours. Need to give his gastrointestinal tract time to rest.

3- After 6-8 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer a small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet.

4- Follow up with your family veterinarian for a hands on examination and x-rays as an initial screening test.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service. If you have any follow-up questions don't hesitate to ask. If finished, please take a moment to rate my service it is how I get compensated. See you again soon!

Dr. Peter

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
can i give him a vasaline sandwhich? even if it has been 24 hours? I read that on here somewhere.

You can, but, if he is vomiting that may not work because very likely he will vomit the sandwich. So, the first thing is to address the vomiting as described above. Once he is no longer vomiting you can try the sandwich.

also one more thing.. He cant have water? he is begging for it and has runny poop

Fast him as described above. Then, gradually introduce the water and food.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian