Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

We have an approximately 10 year old Shar-pei/Shepherd mix.

Customer Question
He started not wanting to...
We have an approximately 10 year old Shar-pei/Shepherd mix. He started not wanting to eat much just before Christmas. He also vomited the day before we took him to the vet. He was diagnosed with a low platelet count and had a fever the first visit. It appeared a complete blood analysis was done. We were given 20mg of prednisone and an antibiotic. After the first week of treatment the platelet count went up and the fever went down. However, after the second week with just the prednisone and no antibiotics the count was back down and the red blood cell count was low. He also lost a tooth during this period. The prednisone was increased to 30 mg per day. The platelets dropped even further after a week of this to under 20,000 and the red blood cell count is also very low. The vet
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
1/9/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian replied 6 months ago
Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian

Hello. My name is***** and I am a veterinarian that can answer your question. I understand Harvey is being treated for anemia and a low platelet count. The current treatment is with prednisone at 30 mg per day, and an antibiotic. This sounds like it is a diagnosis of idiopathic thrombocytopenia and hemolytic anemia. Both of these conditions are autoimmune conditions. I would like to calculate the steroid dose to make sure Harvey is receiving the correct amount for these conditions. Can you please give me Harvey's estimated body weight?