Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My roomates dog continually pees and where my dog resides,

Customer Question
My roomates dog continually...

My roomates dog continually pees and poops where my dog resides, he has peed tite next to her bed and pooped rite next to my bed,it doesnt matter wether inside or out,he makes it a point to do his business in her area,he even went as far as pooping rite in the center of her bed,and he pees all over the house,he is 14-15 yr old male jack russel mix not fixed my dog is 4 year old alaskan malamute female fixed

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the dog's name?

Buddy

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Buddy?

He has some health issues but are minor

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
1/9/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Meghan Denney, Dog Veterinarian replied 6 months ago
Dr. Meghan Denney
Dr. Meghan Denney, Dog Veterinarian

Hi, I am Dr. Denney. I am currently reviewing your post now. Please give me a few minutes to type my response. Thank you for trusting us with your question. This service is used for general information only and is no substitute for a veterinarian-patient relationship by examination.

That sounds really frustrating. I am sorry you and your roommate are dealing with that.

It sounds like Buddy is marking where your female dog goes. This is due to hormonal influence from his being intact (still having his testicles)

The best recommendation I can make is that he needs to be neutered. Neutering does involve going under anesthesia and he is not too old for this procedure. The procedure is very quick so he will not be under long. Neutering will remove the testosterone influence and help get a resolution of this issue. This will have to be her choice though since he is her dog.

The only other option is to crate him when he is not being watched or use baby gates to limit where he can go.

There are also belly wraps for male dogs that can catch the urine, but this can lead to infection of the penis and urinary tract infection if used too long at a time.

Good luck I hope this helps.

If this was helpful I would be most appreciative if you could take the time to rate my assistance so the site will credit me with helping you

Without a rating (the stars at the top) the site will not compensate me for helping you.

I am also here for additional questions you may have, just reach out to me here and I will be more than happy to assist you.

Kind regards,

Dr. Meghan Denney

This Content is not intended to be a substitute for a professional veterinary exam, diagnostics, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your attending veterinarian with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition of a pet.

he is neutered

I am sorry I thought I read this above "male Jack Russel mix not fixed" which means he is not neutered.

This could be an anxiety issue then. Using some over the counter remedies first we can try to get this issue resolved.

1. Adaptil collar ( calming canine pheromones) available at Petsmart. Can help reduce anxiety that may be contributing to his marking.

https://www.amazon.com/Adaptil-Pheromone-Adjustable-Stressful-14-7-Inch/dp/B00TGTM5L8/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1515558154&sr=8-5&keywords=adaptil

2. Supplements for calming: Zylkene is a good one and so is a treat called Composure

a. https://www.amazon.com/Vetoquinol-Zylkene-75mg-30-capsules/dp/B00GYHPAFI/ref=sr_1_1?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1515558197&sr=1-1&keywords=zykelene

b. https://www.amazon.com/Composure-Calming-Support-Formula-Tracker/dp/B076KBVJLL/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1515558219&sr=1-2-spons&keywords=composure+for+dogs&psc=1

I would also recommend his regular veterinarian check his prostate because sometimes growths or tumors in the prostate can cause fluctuations in hormones which can cause marking.

The baby gates and crating can also help (mentioned earlier) to keep him from marking in your bedroom.

If these fail to help then we need to consider prescription strength medications for anxiety-related behaviors. A first line drug I would start with is called Trazadone. This medication usually does not cause sedation or drowsiness.

Let me know if you have further questions. If this helped guide you on next steps please rate my answer above with the stars so the site credits me with assisting you. Even if you rate me this question will continue to be open and we can still converse.