Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

This is not an emergency. My 17 year old miniature schnauzer…

This is not an...

This is not an emergency. My 17 year old miniature schnauzer quickly walks around constantly trying to push his head into any small space he stumbles across. Frequently he pushes himself into a space he cannot get out of and begins to scream. As soon as I pull him out he quickly walks around until he starts pushing his head into the next space. It seems to me that I. Addition to this constant behavior he is unable to walk backwards to back out of these spaces.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The noise must be worrying. I'll connect you to the Veterinarian. What is the Miniature Schnauzer's name?

Have you ever heard of this?

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the Miniature Schnauzer?

He is very old. Doesn’t seem to be in pain until he gets stuck and then the howls sounds more like fear to me. Completely incontinent. Even of stool. Just seems like the stools fall out of him. Formed. Good appetite but frequently misses the bowl when he goes for a bite. Much like I have seen with stroke patients.

Answered in 1 hour by:
1/9/2018
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry to hear of this with your elderly MS. You're certainly on the right track. Aimless wandering, circling, head pressing, becoming trapped in corners, and wall hugging are all signs of encephalopathy (brain disorder) involving the forebrain (cerebrum and thalamus) in dogs. His mentation (mental status) is altered to the point that he has lost the ability to know how to extricate himself once trapped. Regretfully, there's no specific therapy for such a patient. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you. As I said he doesn’t seem to be in pain except when he gets caught somewhere that hurts like the holly bushes. I just wonder if he is suffering and perhaps I should have him put to sleep before he really hurts himself and his last moments are in pain.

Pain is a consideration because so many of these advanced geriatrics behaving in his manner suffer from brain tumor and these tumors can cause headache pain. While not necessarily the case, seizures associated with these tumors can arise and at that point euthanasia would be a kindness. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian