Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My German Shepard has started smelling very strong to the…

Customer Question
My German Shepard has...

My German Shepard has started smelling very strong to the point I can't stand to be around him. We have bathed him but within a day or 2 the smell is back. My back yard had not exposed areas that he can roll in. It's all cement or artifical turf. He scarches a lot, so I was wondering if he has a skin problem.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the German shepherd's name and age?

Ace is his name and he is 3 1/2.

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the German shepherd's name?

Ace

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
1/9/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Schmidt, Dog Veterinarian replied 5 months ago
Dr. Schmidt
Dr. Schmidt, Dog Veterinarian
Hello, this is Dr. Schmidt. Thank you for using JustAnswer. Have you had his analysis glands checked? These are glands in his anus that emit a very bad odor that can be overpowering. Some dogs will need them to be expressed if they start to small bad. The other possibility is a yeast infection on his skin, which is usually caused by skin allergies. I would recommend taking him to the vet or a groomer to have his analysis glands expressed. If that isn't the problem, they might start you on some medication or some shampoo to help for a yeast infection on the skin.
I'm pretty sure it is yeast infection on the skin because it really smells when her is scratching his skin. What medication and/or shampoo would you recommend?

The best shampoo would be something that has chlorohexidine in it and I would bathe him in it every 3-4 days until the smell subsides. What you can do medication-wise that is over the counter would be to start him on Benadryl (1mg/lb) every 12 hours. This is an antihistamine that will help decrease the itchiness and inflammation. Unfortunately there is not over the counter oral medication that will help with a yeast infection on the skin. As far as prescription, Ketaconazole or Terbinafine have helped clear up these infections in the past for my patients.

A shampoo like this would work well.

https://www.amazon.com/Chlorhexidine-Shampoo-Dogs-Cats-Horses/dp/B003LREDXE

Sometimes they need the oral antifungal medication in order to totally clear things up that you would need to get from the vet's office.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Schmidt
Dr. Schmidt
Dr. Schmidt
Dr. Schmidt, Dog Veterinarian