Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have a female pit that is almost 7 years old. My son found…

Customer Question
I have a female...

I have a female pit that is almost 7 years old. My son found a lump by one of her lowest nipples closest to her tail. It is about the size of a golf ball. It does not appear to bother her and her normal behaviors have not changed. She is not spayed. Should I be alarmed? Should I invest in insurance and get her to a vet? Not sure which route to take.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Some lumps are serious and some aren't. Let's see what the Veterinarian has to say. What is the pit's name?

Raven

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Raven?

Nothing that I can think of

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
1/9/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Ann M., Dog Veterinarian replied 5 months ago
Dr. Ann M.
Dr. Ann M., Dog Veterinarian

Hi there and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed, internship-trained veterinarian with 12 years experience in general medicine and emergency and critical care medicine and I would be happy to assist you. Please be patient as there may be slight delays in responses as I research your pet's issue and as I am typing out a response.

How old was she before she was spayed? Was she spayed before a heat cycle, or after? If the lump red or purple, or the same color as surrounding skin?

She is not spayed. This is my first female dog. I am used to male dogs. The lump appears to be the same color as the surrounding skin.

So sorry for the delay, I had an emergency case! Dogs who are not spayed have a 26% chance of mammary cancer. I would be concerned that this dog has mammary adenocarcinoma, which can be curable if you have the mass removed as soon as possible. So I would see the vet and get an estimate for mass removal and biopsy and go from there. I sure hope that it comes back benign or completely removed! Please let me know if you have more questions.

I hope that I have answered your question thoroughly. If you still have questions or are not yet satisfied with my answer, please reply. If you feel that I have provided anything less than excellent service (5 star rating), please reply to me first before rating my service and let me know how I can better assist you. Thank you for your question; it has been a pleasure being able to provide assistance. Bonuses are appreciated... it's always nice to get tipped for your services. Best of luck.

Are you there? Did you see my response?

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Ann M.