Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Many Dog is over weight she needs to lose 6 pounds. How many…

Customer Question
Many Dog is over...

Many Dog is over weight she needs to lose 6 pounds.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the Dog's name and age?

How many calories a day. I feed her CORE dog food

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 hour by:
1/9/2018
Dog Veterinarian: jadedangel57, owner replied 6 months ago
jadedangel57

Hi jAcUSTOMER,

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is Jane. I have been involved professionally with dogs in the healthcare and behavioral fields for over 20 years. I’ve worked as a Vet Assistant and Behaviorist and have extensive experience in dog reproduction, as a breeder, for even longer than that.. Canine behavioral issues and training are also my specialties. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

What breed is your dog?

How much does she weight now?

How much do you feed her and how often?

Which CORE food are you feeding her?

How old is she?

years old. She’s a mix medium size old. I feed her dry dog food Core small breed turkey,chicken recipe it says
Feeding 13-16 1 1/4 cups 114-142 grams a day
17-20 1 1/3 to 1 1/2 148-167
Moved in with daughter and her two dogs so she’s most likely been eatting there food to. Now I’ve started putting her food in my bedroom and the other dogs out of reach.
She a mix opolapso mix Maltese she weights 20 pounds and is 5 years old.
I’ve started feeding her dry dog food name Core all’s it says about calories is grams so a dog her size to stay at that weight is 1 1/3 cups to 1 1/2 148-167 grams a day.
For the 13-16 pound Dog is 1-1 1/4 cup a day is 114-142 grams a day.
Which will she lose weight on?

Sorry for the delay. I had an appointment. I am typing your reply now.

There are two ways to approach the weight loss. The first step is to determine her ultimate weight which you know is between 13-16 pounds. The slow but steady way to have her lose weight is to feed the amount of dog food for the size you want her to be (13-16 pounds). You can also increase her exercise so she is burning more calories. This results in a slow but steady weight loss.

The second way is to cut that amount in half and only feed that much each day until she reaches the desired weight and then feed the 1 to 1 1/4 cups of food each day. This results in a pretty fast weight loss but also tends to have your dog scrounging for food and begging for food as they are pretty hungry over an extended period of time.

Of course, it goes without saying that she can not have any treats at all except maybe the occasional carrot slice. Dogs do not digest vegetables very well so she won't get much from those. Be sure everyone in the family knows not to feed her anything else. Personally given she is a small breed, I'd probably opt for the first method and feed 1 cup a day until she reaches the desired weight. If she continues to lose beyond that, you will want to up the amount just a tiny amount until you can keep her at one particular weight.

Smaller more frequent meals also help a dog lose weight so if you currently feed twice a day, break the daily amount into three meals or even four and stagger those throughout the day. It will help.

If you have any further questions concerning this matter or need clarification, please do not hesitate to respond. At the conclusion of our correspondence, your 5-star rating will be most appreciated, as this will enable me to continue to send quality answers to additional clients and receive recognition from the website for my assistance.