Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My chihuahua is 14. He's on vetmedin for conjested heart…

My chihuahua is 14...

My chihuahua is 14. He's on vetmedin for conjested heart failure, he started coughing excessively for the last 3 days. The vet is closed. Is there anything I can do for him right now?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Coughing can be worrying. The Expert will know what you should do. What is the dog's name?

Jack. It's a deep rough cough

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Jack?

No he's been a real healthy guy. Old age.

Answered in 1 minute by:
1/9/2018
DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian

Hi

Dr. Paul Brazzell here

What other medications is Jack receiving for the congestive heart failure?

Paul

None

Then he is not in congestive heart failure OR he needs the other two medications (especially Furosemide) urgently

Paul

The vet is closed at this time a d his coughing is worse. Is there anything g I can give him

Hi

Sorry was with another emergency on phone

You can try a cough suppressant

Give him Robitussin DM- 1/2 teaspoon three times a day

This should settle the cough down

Can you get some of that?

Paul

Thank you

Very welcome

Please update me tomorrow morning

And you can rate me now- I will leave this link open for you

Paul

DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
DocPaul
DocPaul
DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian