Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

A larger dog was hooked up with my small breed dog for less…

Customer Question
A larger dog was...

A larger dog was hooked up with my small breed dog for less than 5 minutes. I sprayed him with water and was able to separate them. I was told if I gave the female dog some castor oil then she would abort the pregnancy, if there is one.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the dog's name?

April

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about April?

She had puppies last October

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
1/9/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 6 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Regretfully, you've been misinformed. Castor oil isn't of use in terminating pregnancy. Pregnancy termination can be performed by means of premature lysis of the corpus luteum - the structure that a pre-existing follicle becomes and which secretes progesterone. This is accomplished by dosing with prostaglandin F 2 alpha every 8-12 hours subcutaneously for 3-9 days. The drug we use in dogs is dinoprost or cloprostenol. Prostaglandin F 2 alpha may also be combined with a prolactin inhibitor such as bromocriptine or cabergoline. Usually 3-4 days of therapy is needed when the two drugs are used concomitantly. Dexamethasone at a decreasing dose for 5-10 days may also be effective. Aglepristone need only be given in two doses 24 hours apart. It's not available in the United States as of this writing. The days when we gave a potent estrogen such as estradiol as a mismating injection are long gone. It's now considered malpractice to do so because although it was quite successful in preventing pregnancy it also caused far too many cases of pyometra - an infected uterus. The drugs I've mentioned above may not be available in all veterinary hospitals so check with April's vet before making the trip. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.