Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My Dog Dallas had a lump or knot on the left side of her…

Customer Question
My Dog Dallas had...

My Dog Dallas had a lump or knot on the left side of her throat on Sunday afternoon. She was outside for a while and when she can in the house we noticed it. The size felt like a baseball. It didn't bother her for us to rub it though. On Monday it had gotten smaller like the size of a golf ball. So we waited to see if any better today and it is smaller but still there. Should we be concerned and get this checked out?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Some lumps are serious and some aren't. Let's see what the Veterinarian has to say. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Dallas?

She has been a very healthy Pitt and now is Ten years old.

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/9/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Altman, Veterinarian replied 5 months ago
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you today! Please give me a few moments to respond and I will be back momentarily!

Are you able to provide a photo of the area with the paperclip on your screen? Is she eating/ drinking normally? Not rubbing the area or holding her head differently?

As long as it continues to subside I would simply monitor. This could potentially be a salivary gland that was partially blocked for a short period, a lymph node that was helping her fight off infection, or a cyst and if it doesn't completely resolve within the week I would advise a veterinary exam and aspiration to ensure this is nothing to be worried about and that no medical intervention is necessary

But as long as it resolves within 3-7 days I would simply monitor

Please let me know if I can be of any additional assistance today

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

I'm not at home at the moment to get a picture to you. She has not had a problem with eating or drinking water either. It doesn't seem to bother her even if we rub it. But it is hard not soft and cant find any wound around it either.

I do suspect this is a lymph node or salivary gland by your description which is what drains the oral cavity and often ebbs and flows in size dependent on exposures to infection

At this point it probably has some scarring that is making it palpate more firm and should also reduce over time but again if this isn't resolving this week I would advise a veterinary exam and fine needle aspirate of the area

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both

If the information I have provided was helpful I would be grateful if you would rate our chat with the stars at the top of the screen so I am compensated for my time. Thank you and best of luck to you both, truly!

Good evening, i wanted to check in before signing off for the night. How is the lump? Is it continuing to reduce in size? Can I assist with any additional questions?

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Altman