Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dogs ears our inflamed & infected he keeps shaking his…

Customer Question
My dogs ears our...

My dogs ears our inflamed & infected he keeps shaking his head side to side and itching at his ears horribly , what can I do to help this infection he has

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. There are all sorts of infections your dog can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the dog's name and age?

Mr White & He is 3

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Mr?

His ears our inflamed n red & smell horrible it's very clear they our infected what can I get to help him

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
1/9/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian replied 3 months ago
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I AM NOT SET UP TO MAKE PHONE CALLS, BUT I WOULD BE HAPPY TO ANSWER ANY QUESTIONS YOU HAVE ONLINE. THE WEBSITE SENDS THE REQUESTS; NOT MYSELF. Unfortunately, there isn't anything over the counter you can use to treat and ear infection. You can get an over the counter ear wash, but they usually aren't medicated and just help to remove some debris but control infection or inflammation very well. Two of the more important things that needs to be established when dealing with a bad ear infection is if it is bacteria (and what type of bacteria), yeast or a combination of the two and if the ear drums are intact. A vet has to get a sample to look under the microscope to determine the type of infection and has to look into the ears with an otoscope to evaluate the ear drum. If the ear drum is not intact, cleaning and certain medications can cause problems with inner ear toxicity. We don't treat many ear infections (unless middle or inner ear) with oral medications because they cannot get to the infection very well. So, usually it is a medicated cleaner to clean the ears daily and a topical medication based on cytology report to apply 1-2 times a day. If the ear has a potential Pseudomonas infection, then oral medications may be added as well. Lastly, if the ears are very inflamed, they need to be put on steroids to reduce the inflammation and swelling and get the ears healed faster. There is just not an easy way to properly treat ear infections at home. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. IF YOU ARE SATISFIED WITH MY ANSWER, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get compensated for helping you, and we can still continue our conversation after rating at no additional charge. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Asking more specific questions usually helps a lot. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Would cleomoyosin help for the infection I have it left over from my other dog when vet prescribed it to him for a infection
No

I am sorry. I am not familiar with that drug. Are you sure that is how it is spelled? Is it an oral or topical medication?

If you are referring to clindamycin, it is not something we usually use to treat and ear infection. Oral antibiotics are usually not efficacious for that, and it will not help with any yeast component. Let me know if that is not the medication you were referring to.

Hello. I was following up to see how Mr White is doing and to see if you have any other questions.

Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian