Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I have a 17 year old shitzu that for the past week has been…

Customer Question
I have a 17...

I have a 17 year old shitzu that for the past week has been very lazy and has had loose stools and with blood in them. He has also not been able to hold his uri ne or bowls normally either. Appetite off. I rescued him a year ago.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the dog's name?

His name is*****

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Mr.?

He is almost completely blind and deaf but is a feisty ol guy

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
1/9/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Peter, Veterinarian replied 1 month ago
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply ASAP.

1- Any pre existing medical conditions?

2- Is he currently on any medications?

3- Any vomiting?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No medications , has a cough as far as I know he has no medical conditions
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Do you prescribe medications

Friend, when we see blood in the stool this is the result of inflammation of the large intestines (colon). Common causes are dietary indiscretion, infections, or even part of a systemic disease, etc. The urinary and fecal incontinence could be secondary to arthritis or secondary to a systemic disease. Unfortunately, in this case, on history only I will not be able to pinpoint the exact underlying cause, I am sorry. Mr. Magoo will need a hands-on examination by a veterinarian, blood work and urinalysis as an initial screening test. Treatment will be based on exam and test results. In addition, change his diet to a bland diet of rice with boiled boneless chicken or ground. Supplement with a probiotic, you can buy probiotics over the counter in any pet store.

As far as prescribing medication, not on this venue. You see, by law before we prescribe we must first perform a hands-on examination.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service. If you have any follow-up questions don't hesitate to ask. If finished, please take a moment to rate my service it is how I get compensated. See you again soon!

Dr. Peter

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian