Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My 3 year old dog ate a small amount of onion and is

Customer Question
My 3 year old...

My 3 year old dog ate a small amount of onion and is vomiting. How long will it last?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?

Niana. I know onion can be lethal to dogs if enough is consumed. She didn't eat much and I know her body is doing what it needs to. I just wanted to know about how long it will last

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
1/9/2018
Dog Veterinarian: jadedangel57, owner replied 1 month ago
jadedangel57

Hi JaCustomer,

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is Jane. I have been involved professionally with dogs in the healthcare and behavioral fields for over 20 years. I’ve worked as a Vet Assistant and Behaviorist and have extensive experience in dog reproduction, as a breeder, for even longer than that.. Canine behavioral issues and training are also my specialties. It will be my pleasure to work with you today. I just signed in and noticed no other expert chose to answer your question and wanted to help.

Onions can cause your dog to be ill due to thiosulphate poisoning. Dogs who have ingested onion can develop anemia due to red blood cells bursting. The first signs of onion poisoning are gastroenteritis with vomiting and diarrhea. There will be a loss of appetite and lethargy and trouble breathing. The breathing is caused by the fact that the red blood cells carrying oxygen through the body are reduced. Frequently their urine will be reddish. .

The acute diarrhea and vomiting can lead to dehydration. You can check this by lifting the skin between your dog’s shoulder blades and if it stays tented or is slow to return to normal position, your dog is dehydrated and needs to be seen by your Vet so fluids can be given.

The poisoning occurs a couple of days after the onion has been digested. It does not matter if the onion was raw, cooked or mixed with other food. A single meal of 1 pound of onions can be dangerous to a 15 pound dog. The same poisoning can occur if smaller amounts were fed over several days. Onion toxicosis is consistently noted in animals that ingest more than 0.5% of their body weight in onions at one time. The condition does improve once the dog is prevented from eating more onions. If your dog’s gums are pale white and he develops symptoms of onion poisoning listed above or becomes dehydrated, contact your Vet.

All that said, iif you feel she did eat a toxic amount of onions you will need to probably have her seen though she may be vomiting due to having an "unusual" treat. Now if she is consistently ingesting onions in other food then you will need to take that into consideration when determining if poisoning is an issue.

I suspect that by now she is no longer vomiting and you might want to feed her a bland diet of boiled chicken and rice for a few days to give her system a break while she recovers. If you have any further questions concerning this matter or need clarification, please do not hesitate to respond. At the conclusion of our correspondence, your 5-star rating will be most appreciated, as this will enable me to continue to send quality answers to additional clients and receive recognition from the website for my assistance.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Customer
Dog Veterinarian: jadedangel57, owner replied 28 days ago

Hi Again,

I just thought I'd check in to see how things are going for you and your dog. I strive to provide the best answer possible. Did you find my answer helpful?.

jadedangel57
jadedangel57
jadedangel57, owner