Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I gave my 65# pit her Prednisone (20 mg) and my 6.6# pom-chi…

Customer Question
I gave my 65#...

I gave my 65# ***** bull her Prednisone (20 mg) and my 6.6# ***** grabbed it and ate it.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the pit will be able to digest that. What is the pit's name and age?

My 6.6# ***** are it It was ment for the pit bull

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the pit?

It is prescribed for the pit

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
1/9/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Gwen, Dog Veterinarian replied 1 month ago
Dr. Gwen
Dr. Gwen, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, thank you for contacting Just Answer. It sounds like your pom-chi is a little naughty! That is quite a big dose for your little dog and the biggest concerns here are for stomach ulcerations and bleeding. Ideally, if this pet were in the vet clinic, I would give it a dose of activated charcoal to prevent any further absorption of the drug and help protect the stomach. In your case the best thing to do is arrange with your veterinarian to get a few doses of a medication to help protect and heal the stomach. I usually prescribe famotidine and sucralfate. With your pom-chi just taking the one dose she probably only needs some help with stomach medications for 2 or 3 days to be safe. Please let me know if you have any other questions, and good luck!

Hello again. Just checking in to see if you have any further questions or concerns. Hopefully your little pup is feeling just fine!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Gwen
Dr. Gwen
Dr. Gwen
Dr. Gwen, Dog Veterinarian