DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian
Experience:  20+ yrs exp. Emerg, Int Med, Ultrasound, Gen Practice.
20798050

My five year old 80 pound golden retriever’s eye is swollen

My five year old 80 pound golden retriever’s eye is swollen shut. She was really itching her face and rubbing it on my couch and when I went to see what was wrong, I noticed the swelling. She also threw up and then ate a lot of grass and leaves and drank a ton of water to (I guess) make herself vomit again. I gave her 100 mg of Benadryl about an hour ago—not sure if that came up just now with the vomit or not as it’s dark outside. Her gums look normal and her respiration is normal. She is calm and resting at the moment. Do I need to rush her into a vet now? There is no eye discharge, and it’s only one side of her face. Swelling is not getting worse.

Hi

Dr. Paul Brazzell here

Are you able to send me a photo of the eye

This does sound like an allergic reaction- systemic

But let me see both eyes

Paul

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Ok. Having some trouble uploading.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Her right eye is the swollen eye.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
We go out in the evenings to a big field here in Texas to walk off leash. I’m wondering if a bee sting would cause this kind of reaction.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Definitely no signs of a snake bite. She also hasn’t had anything different or new to eat.

Still here- looking at photos now

Yes I was thinking insect/bee sting

it happened so fast and is only one side

It would also explain the vomiting

No trouble breathing?

Paul

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
No. She is sleeping normally at the moment. And I did notice it immediately after the walk. It seems Benadryl should help but I suspect it came up with her vomit. Would there be harm in trying to give her another 100 mg?

I am okay with you giving her another Benadryl now

Lets watch for facial swelling and changes to breathing

Update me in an hour

Okay?
Paul

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Should I give her one? That’s only 25 mg which isn’t the right dose I don’t think. And yes I can update you if I don’t fall asleep!

Well one probably wont do much

Might be good idea to go and get more if you can

If not able to then I am not too panicked

Anti-histamines are designed to prevent reaction and NOT to treat it once it is present

Paul

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thanks. I have plenty here. I will give full dose. You’ve been super helpful and I love the linked in profile pic! Big family!!

Great and welcome

Yes we have five little ones! Crazy busy

Lets give 75.0 mg Benadryl now and watch tonight

Please update me in the AM UNLESS we see respiratory difficulty- then sooner

Okay?
And you can rate me now- I will leave the link open for you

Paul

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Sounds good!

Great!

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Good morning. Daisy's eye is less swollen, but she threw up again early this morning. I got in touch with my vet, who agreed that it was likely a systemic reaction to a bite or sting and said she could give her a Dex shot and something to settle her stomach (as she isn't interested in eating). So she will be on her way to feeling better soon!

Thanks for the update!

Good call on the follow-up with local vet

Paul