Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I just got back to my hotel room and discovered that my dog…

Customer Question
Hello, I just got...

Hello, I just got back to my hotel room and discovered that my dog had taken feminine products from the bathroom trash. It appears she has eaten a maxi pad. We are in the process of relocating half way across country and don’t have a local vet. What should we watch for or should I be concerned at all?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if your dog will be able to digest that. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your dog?

This is the first time she’s done anything like this. She is a 2 yr old terrier mix. Healthy weight and active.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
1/9/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Kara, Veterinarian replied 3 months ago
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

1. How long ago do you believe she may have done this?
  2. Do you have fresh (unexpired) 3% hydrogen peroxide?
  3. How is she behaving now?
  4. Is she eating and drinking normally?

Maxi pads are super absorbent and tend to expand quite a bit in the juices of the gastrointestinal system. It may pass but if she just ate it, within the past 2-3 hours, it's worth trying to get her to vomit it back up.

You can give her 1 tablespoon of fresh (unexpired) 3% hydrogen peroxide per 10 pounds of body weight mixed with bread chunks or ice cream (no more than 3 tablespoons even if she weighs more than 35 pounds).

Then take her outside and run her around to get the peroxide bubbling so she vomits.

If no vomiting in 10 minutes repeat the peroxide dose once.

If she vomits and seems to clear her stomach and be done I would check to see if the pieces are present.

Once she finishes vomiting and empties her stomach to try and settle her stomach today you can give either:
1) Pepcid-ac (famotidine) at a dose of one half of a 10mg tablet per 10 to 20 pounds of body weight every 12 hours.

OR
2) Prilosec (omeprazole) at a dose of one half of a 20mg tablet per 20 to 40 pounds of body weight every 24 hours.

These will reduce stomach acid and should help settle her stomach.

Then feed a homemade diet of 1/3 boiled, lean hamburger or boiled, white, skinless chicken, all fats and juices drained off the meat, and 2/3 boiled, plain, white rice. Add 2 tablespoons of canned pumpkin, (not pie filling, just pumpkin), to each meal for fiber whether she vomits most of the foreign material back up or not to help push the remaining pieces through.

If you don't have peroxide you can get her to an emergency clinic to induce vomiting.

If she doesn't vomit it back up or you choose not to take her to an emergency clinic still use the bland diet with pumpkin to try and get the pieces to pass.

If it has been several hours since she ate the maxi pad it is likely too late to induce vomiting, the pieces will likely be out of her stomach. All you can do at that point is watch her closely. If she starts vomiting, has a tense painful belly or refuses to eat or runs a fever (more than 103F rectally) then that can signify a blockage and she should be seen by a veterinarian immediately. Surgery may be needed at that point.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Hello, I wanted to make sure that you didn't have any further questions for me, and I'd like to know how things turned out for your pup. If you could give me an update that would be great, thank you, ***** *****

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian