Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My min. Poodle is biting and licking her belly near the rear…

Customer Question
My min. Poodle is...

My min. Poodle is biting and licking her belly near the rear leg, skin is turning black and I wonder what I should put on the area so she leaves it alone. Will salve do it, what kind? Or something she does not like. I cannot afford a vet. I am old and on Social Security and it's only 1/2 of Fed. poverty level so I'd like to try home remedies. Dori

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the dog's name and age?

Her name is ***** ***** she going on 5 yrs.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Chloe?

Not really, she has been very normal all this time. I've had her since she was 5 mos. or so.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
1/8/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Peter, Veterinarian replied 1 month ago
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Hello, Dori, I will do my best to help you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Is she itchy all over or just in this area?

2- How much does she weigh?

3- What are you feeding her?

4- Can you post a picture of the lesion in this chat?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Just in one area, she weighs about 20 lbs., I feed her Pedigree Salmon dry food in it with a little tuna juice & beet juice..about 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon each & mix it up so it isn't so dry. No. 4....No Can't do. Dori

Please give me 5-10 minutes to type your answer. No need to accept the phone call request. Thank you.

Dori, the skin turning black is a common outcome when there is a chronic inflammation in an area of the skin. It is important that you stop her from licking or you are going to have a difficult time getting this under control. The only tool that we have that is effective to stop her from licking is an E-collar (cone). This is what you can do:

1- Pick up an E collar (cone) in your local pet store to stop her from licking/gnawing the affected area.

2- Pick up in your local pharmacy "Hibiclens" antimicrobial soap or chlorhexiderm scrub. Wash area with this soap 2-3 times a day. If you do not find the above soap use over the counter antibacterial soap.

3- After washing affected area as above apply a topical antibiotic like cortisone cream. Do this 2-3 times a day for the next 7-10 days. You can buy Cortisone cream over the counter in any pharmacy or Walmart.

4- If no significant improvement after doing the above I would have her examined by a veterinarian. I would look into your local ASPCA or Shelter where they often offer veterinary services at a lower cost.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service. If you have any follow-up questions don't hesitate to ask. If finished, please take a moment to rate my service it is how I get compensated. See you again soon!

Dr. Peter

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian