Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

9 year old male was having great difficulty chewing his

Customer Question
9 year old male...

9 year old male was having great difficulty chewing his food. He was also acting differently; not playing and sleeping late. When he was outside walking, he seemed normal, just less energy. The vet extracted three teeth 2 1/2 weeks ago. He can eat hard food but soft food take some him forever and he has become totally disinterested in anything but human food. The vet said the area deep in his anal

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What sort of animal are we talking about?

Gland is hard and that there is a mass

Veterinarian's Assistant: Maybe I'm confused. I thought you had a problem with a pet. Is that correct?

Near his thyroid gland that is moveable. The vet also said that there is a connection between the anal gland and the thyroid gland.

Veterinarian's Assistant: This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the animal?

Sorry still explaining

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
I had more to add. The main symptom is that it takes my dog a very long time to eat anything. Here is. It quite s playful as before
lastly I gave him a Nylabone around the time this all started but h usually has no interest in bones. I can’t find the bone but I have to other dogs so it’s hard to tell
1/9/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Meghan Denney, Dog Veterinarian replied 6 months ago
Dr. Meghan Denney
Dr. Meghan Denney, Dog Veterinarian

Hi, I am Dr. Denney. I am currently reviewing your post now. Please give me a few minutes to type my response. Thank you for trusting us with your question. This service is used for general information only and is no substitute for a veterinarian-patient relationship by examination.

I just want to add that lately his breathing is audible and faster than normal

With the change in his thyroid and anal gland, this could mean that there is cancer that may be spreading through his body (metastasizing). I know that is hard to hear, but it may be what is going on.

Did you have his blood work checked including calcium levels? If his calcium levels are increased it is very likely that there is cancer present that needs to be diagnosed.

2.5 weeks can mean he still has some sensitivity where the teeth were extracted. Were the teeth pulled incisors or major molars?

Did he have dental xrays done to check for bone loss or infection from the teeth spreading into the jaw bone?

If there was an infection in the bone causing bone loss it will take more than a few weeks to resolve the sensitivity.

I wish I had time but we are leaving for the vet and they are aspirating the mass

I would recommend checking his calcium levels and given his respiratory symptoms I would also recommend chest xrays to check for infection or metastasis from cancer ( cancers of the anal gland and thyroid gland can spread to the chest and cause respiratory symptoms)

If he has not had dental xrays that is also something to consider to check for bone infection left over from his teeth extraction. Infection would have been there prior to extractions and normally by pulling the affected tooth the infection resolves, but sometimes it needs a little help with antibiotics.

Yes aspirating the mass is a good next step.

Calcium and potassium were normal. Next is dental X-rays. Teeth extracted were not molars

Discuss taking chest xrays as well given his respiratory symptoms with your regular veterinarian. Do not want to put him under anesthesia again if there are lung tumors. Let me know how it goes. I'll keep an eye on this question

If this was helpful I would be most appreciative if you could take the time to rate my assistance so the site will credit me with helping you

Without a rating (the stars at the top) the site will not compensate me for helping you.

I am also here for additional questions you may have, just reach out to me here and I will be more than happy to assist you.

Kind regards,

Dr. Meghan Denney

This Content is not intended to be a substitute for a professional veterinary exam, diagnostics, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your attending veterinarian with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition of a pet.