Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I am the owner of a 4yr old chia/pug who for last 6mos

Customer Question
Hello I am the...

Hello I am the owner of a 4yr old chia/pug who for last 6mos started to have seizures what can you recommend naturally that I can give him to keep it under control. All I have been able to do is hold him and blow air into his face until he comes out of it, please help.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Seizures always look scary. Let's get you talking to the Veterinarian. What is the pug's name and age?

His name is ***** ***** is 4yrs old

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Sarge?

That is the only thing I habe noticed with him besides that like a child he wants to be on my lap all the time.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
1/9/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Kara, Veterinarian replied 6 months ago
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

I'm sorry to hear that Sarge has had some possible seizure episodes over the past 6 months and I understand your concern for him.

Seizures are rhythmic, repetitive, muscle movements which the dog is unable to control and often loses consciousness during. Many dogs will repeatedly have chewing motions and/or leg motions and can lose urine and stool control.

There can be several reasons for seizures.
The most common is idiopathic epilepsy. That means that we don't know why but a circuit of sensitive neurons in the brain gets stuck repeatedly firing. Epilepsy occurs most frequently for the first time in dogs 6 months to 6 years of age so he is in the right age range for this to be the cause of his seizures. We do believe that there is a genetic basis for dogs to have epilepsy as certain breeds (Chihuahuas are one breed) are more commonly afflicted and siblings will often have them as well. If mom carried some of the genetics for epilepsy she may not be affected. But if she bred with a male that also carried some of the genetics for epilepsy (and he may not have been affected either) then together if the wrong combination of genes resulted we could get puppies with epilepsy.
Other causes for seizures are viral, bacterial, parasitic or fungal infections, metabolic diseases leading to waste products building up and affecting brain chemistry, low blood sugar, toxin exposure, or even granulomas or masses in the brain.

Most of the other disease processes that cause seizures cause other symptoms, those dogs are sick or abnormal other than during the seizure. It doesn't sound like your fellow is sick as much as he is confused and frightened by having seizures, which he does not understand.

I understand you are hoping to decrease his seizure frequency and severity without drug use. That is not always fully possible, but I can give you some suggestions that may help somewhat.
Some dogs with lower than normal seizure thresholds will seizure in response to being exposed to artificial colors, preservatives or gluten. So you might wish to feed him a diet without artificial dyes or flavors and supports brain health. Purina® Pro Plan® Veterinary Diets NeuroCare is formulated just for dogs that suffer from seizures.

Decreasing stress is also a way to avoid seizures so if you know an event will be stressful for him avoid it if possible. You can also use calming sprays such as DAP (dog appeasing pheromone) or pheromone impregnated collars to keep him calm.

Exercise should be kept at normal levels. Exercise is a great way to naturally relieve stress and increase positive endorphin levels in the brain. Too much excitement can precipitate a seizure though, so be careful not to overdo things.

In a patient with seizures I would have your veterinarian examine him, check a biochemistry and thyroid profile to look at organ and thyroid gland health and a complete blood count. We do want to make sure there are no underlying problems.

If his seizures become more frequent than once a month or more than one happens in a day, even if it has been several months since the last one, I would highly recommend using medication to prevent them. The reason for that is the likelihood of status epilepticus (one seizure after another) and possible permanent brain damage is higher with those scenarios and we wish to avoid that.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Hello, I wanted to make sure that you didn't have any further questions for me, and I'd like to know how things turned out for your pup. If you could give me an update that would be great, thank you, ***** *****