Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Have a 9 (almost 10 year old boxer) that is having symptoms…

Customer Question
Hello, have a 9...

Hello, have a 9 (almost 10 year old boxer) that is having symptoms similar to an allergic reaction. We purchased a food that he has eaten in the past, but not the same as his last bag because this one was out of stock. The white parts of his eyes are swollen and look like they are filled with a clear liquid, and he has been vomitting the past 2 days.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?

Cooper

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Cooper?

Not that i can think of.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 hour by:
1/8/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 3 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

You've described chemosis which is an edema of the sclera - the white of the eye - and which arises secondary to an irritant or allergen affecting the eye. This is best treated with an antihistaminic glucocorticoid (steroid) such as predisolone administered both topically onto the eye and systemically by injection if Cooper's vet believes that Cooper's vomiting is associated with same irritant or allergen. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian