Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have a twofold question I have a 7 month old chow/lab

Customer Question
I have a twofold...

I have a twofold question I have a 7 month old chow/lab retriever she may are aged with her brother.. I am concerned for Her health... Also I have paid a vet for deforming.. The first time 1 of my 2 pups dispelled a lot of work 2 weeks later I saw live worms in the stool of one I am sure that when the worms die after deforming they are visible... As in the first time... I have already spent over 200 dollars. I do not see worms now but am wondering if I am being swindled?... Being that my girl could be pregnant I don't want to be taken for a ride if she is safe to have babies I am willing to go the route but I just don't trust vets here in Florida

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. We need to be extra careful with pregnancies, so we'll need to connect you with the Veterinarian ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?

No they get great food and are very healthy also well loved

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
1/9/2018
Dog Veterinarian: jadedangel57, owner replied 6 months ago
jadedangel57

Hi JaCustomer,

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is Jane. I have been involved professionally with dogs in the healthcare and behavioral fields for over 20 years. I’ve worked as a Vet Assistant and Behaviorist and have extensive experience in dog reproduction, as a breeder, for even longer than that.. Canine behavioral issues and training are also my specialties. It will be my pleasure to work with you today. I'm so sorry that no other expert answered your question earlier. Your question just showed up on the list of unanswered questions that I have access to and I wanted to help. I hope you will rate my answer rather than the delay.

Worms like lots of other critters and parasites lay eggs that take a little while to hatch. A lot of over the counter dewormers kill the live worms but do not kill the eggs. For this reason, I recommend at least 2 dewormings two weeks apart. This gives eggs that were laid by the adults time to hatch but does not give them enough time to mature and lay eggs of their own.

Now the other thing that often happens is the dewormer starts to kill the worms and they lose hold on the intestines and end up being expelled in the fecal matter. In most cases they are dead but some survive for a little while.

You also have to worry about reinfection from things like the dog licking the rear of another dog, or eating grass that has eggs on it or drinking from standing water that might have been contaminated when eggs washed down into the water. I always ask my clients to be sure all fecal matter is cleaned out of the dog's areas like the yard, etc and eliminate standing water such as puddles. This help prevent reinfection. Now if a dog has tape worms which are rice like in appearance, those are spread by fleas so having your dogs on a good flea preventative will help stop your dogs from being reinfected by tapeworms.

Common dewormers are Panacur, which is a prescription product so you need to obtain it from your Vet and it works on roundworms and whipworms. Wormers labeled as Pyrantel Pamoate are the best over the counter medication for roundworms. Drontal plus is also a prescription product and is used for the treatment of Tapeworms, though dewormers with praziquantel work well against tapeworms. Many heartworm preventatives also help control whipworms and roundworms. Another reason to keep your dog on Heartworm medication.

If you have any further questions concerning this matter or need clarification, please do not hesitate to respond. At the conclusion of our correspondence, your 5-star rating will be most appreciated, as this will enable me to continue to send quality answers to additional clients and receive recognition from the website for my assistance.

I do not buy over the counter deepened that's why I have spent over 200 in 3 months I get the deepened from the vet... It is my assumption that the worms come out through the feces when dead I have seen no worms come out dead.... As of now I see no l8ve worms they don't go around other dogs they don't drink water that is not filtered they are inside no roaches no markings my question is when the worms die do they not come out from the feces

Sometimes you will see some worms in the feces and in other cases, the dog will digest the dead worms so you do not see any trace that they were infected. A lot of worms live in the stomach itself and these dead worms are generally digested so you would not see them in the feces. Dewormers basically kill the live worms. Some worms die quicker than others and those that take longer to die may be seen dying in fecal matter.