Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog hasn't been eating at all for 2 days, is titling his…

Customer Question
My dog hasn't been...

My dog hasn't been eating at all for 2 days, is titling his head a lot, his entire body is shaking a lot and now is barking at people he has always been friendly with. any thoughts?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the dog's name?

Koda

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Koda?

He's only 5 years old. is a pitbull and kerr mix

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
1/9/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Sally G., Dog Training Consultant replied 3 months ago
Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant

Hello and thank you for using this site to help you. I am sorry your question was not picked up sooner.

Does he seem off balance at times?

Any circling at all?

There is a head tilt?

Is there any odor to the ears?

he seems off balanced from time to time. I was trying to feed him his food by hand and noticed he almost fell over. He is tilting his head all the time now and yes some circling, noticed that he is not turning left. I do not notice an odor in the ears.

Thank you for that information and I am sorry for the delay, the weather knocked out my power for a bit.

I would suspect Vestibuilar disease which is usually caused by a miscommunication between the inner ear and brain. Generally due to an inner ear infection or ruptured ear drum. This can be painful and that may be why he is barking at people , he does not want to be touched in the wrong place.

sometimes older dogs get this and there is nothing in the ears such as infection but it is idiopathic.

I would suggest that you call your Vet and have him looked at because an ear infection would require antibiotic drops and the ear drum should be checked as well.

Here is more on Vestibular disease. https://www.petplace.com/article/dogs/pet-health/vestibular-disease-in-dogs/

Sally G.
Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant