Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

All of a sudden Saturday he helped in pain when my daughter…

Customer Question
All of a sudden...

All of a sudden Saturday he helped in pain when my daughter lifted up his front legs- to stand on his hind legs. Now he won't jump up on the couch or bed- even for food. He yelps if we pick him up and still has weight on his hind legs. He walks and even runs just fine.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?

I felt around his paw and didn't see anything. But will check with a flashlight. He's a cavalier so pretty hairy.

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name and age?

Kaycee 4.5 years old

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Kaycee?

He'll walk down steps or jump off the couch without a problem.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
1/9/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Sally G., Dog Training Consultant replied 3 months ago
Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant

Hello and thank you for using this site to help you. I am sorry your question was not picked up sooner.

You may be seeing the beginning of a disc issue that at this time is only affecting certain movements. It may get worse or remain the same over the next few days. What happens is the soft tissue that cushions the disc suddenly turns hard and presses on the spine. It can effect the neck or lower spine.

I might try giving strict rest, outside for potty only, and try giving an aspirin with food and see if that makes a difference over the next day or so. Aspirin is not great long term so it should only be used 2 days tops every 12 hours.

I will direct you to a link for dosing.

If you find that helps him I would talk to your vet about having meds on hand that are safer than aspirin.

Aspirin http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/acetylsalicylic-acid-aspirin/page1.aspx

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

DakotaSouthFive
Sally G.
Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant