Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Final Blox Rodenticide - main ingredient Bromethalin Dog age…

Customer Question
Final Blox Rodenticide -...

Final Blox Rodenticide - main ingredient Bromethalin Dog age 9 Weimariner ingested within last 48 hours sx - panting, discomfort

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the Weimaraner will be able to digest that. What is the Weimaraner's name and age?

Lolli age 11 female

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the Weimaraner?

She takes an NSAID daily

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
1/8/2018
Dog Veterinarian: DocPaul, Veterinarian replied 1 month ago
DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian

Hi

Dr. Paul Brazzell here

Do we know how much was eatan?

Paul

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
can't tell
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
it was not at dog level, but a rat may have knocked it down where Lolli was
There are remants of red pieces in her stool today

Okay

It is too late to induce vomiting or give activated charcoal

At this point it is a wait and watch situation

Usually with LARGE doses the signs occur within 2-12 hours so unlikely this is what happened

If a smaller dose then the effects of this neurotoxin will wear off faster

You should give food and water as per normal and keep me updated

Okay?

Paul

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Any antidote that may help?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
or lab testing for liver or kidney function?

No antidote

No tests as it attacks the nervous system

Supportive care if severity of signs increases

Paul

Still there?

Paul

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
We located the Material Safety Data Sheet for Final Blox (active ingredient = Bromethalin)
Actually it says that inducing vomiting would never be appropriate for this type of poisoning
The antidote would be Vitamin K-1
And monitoring of platelets would be appropriate
We have taken Lolli to a local vet for Vitamin K-1 injection

Bromethalin is NOT a Vitamin K antagonist

It is a neurotoxin

Vitamin K will do nothing

And induction of vomiting is correct IF lees than four hours ago!

Bromethalin is a neurotoxic rodenticide that is sometimes mistaken for anticoagulant rodenticides with similar names (e.g. brodifacoum, bromadiolone).

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The confusion seems to be as you suspected with the actual active ingredient
Although the product website refers to Bromethalin, the active ingredient on the safety data sheet is indeed Brodifacoum
Brodifacoum would be a anticoagulant rodenticide and would then require Vitamin K-1 injection and subsequent oral Vitamin K-1 follow-up for 30 days per my vet
Thank you for clarifying this for us
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
All good here now
DocPaul
DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian