Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I noticed my dog kinda of dry heaving more than normal... so…

Customer Question
I noticed my dog...

I noticed my dog kinda of dry heaving more than normal... so I felt around her throat and noticed a lump in the side of her neck, and a lump on the front of her chest.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Some lumps are serious and some aren't. Let's see what the Veterinarian has to say. What is the dog's name and age?

She's 13 and her name is*****: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Ietta?

She yelped when she scratched her throat today... and she's been licking at her chest alot She's still eating and drinking and still lots of energy...

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
1/8/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Kara, Veterinarian replied 6 months ago
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

I'm sorry to hear that Letta has a couple lumps, one her chest and one near her throat and that she has been dry heaving more.

1. Any weight loss?
  2. Please check this diagram in this link to look for other external lymph nodes and see if they are enlarged : https://i.pinimg.com/564x/92/b8/6b/92b86b3ac41a6dc3e5912beb441068dc--lymph-nodes-pet-health.jpg
  3. Is she coughing?
  4. Do the lumps feel like they are under the skin, and are they covered by normal fur?
  5. Are ticks a problem where you live?
No weight loss, still eating and drinking
A bit coughing not a lot
The lumps are under the skin
We do have ticks but she's been indoors as it's-42 here

Thanks very much.

Can you tell if any of her external lymph nodes are swollen (enlarged).

The two lumps you mentioned could be her submandibular node and her prescapular node.

If these are lymph nodes then swollen lymph nodes can be secondary to an infection. Since he has more than one swollen then a systemic infection, particularly tick borne infections would be a concern. Generally dogs with a systemic infection will run a fever and feel poorly. Given his normal appetite and feeling fine that may still be the case with him, (as that can happen in a early infection) or it may be that he has something else going on.
The other possibility is that he has a primary cancer of the lymphatic system called lymphoma. That would explain multiple abnormal lymph nodes, and his cough, as it is possible that he has swollen lymph nodes in his chest, and secondary edema.
Ideally your fellow would be examined as soon as possible, not necessarily an emergency today but as soon as possible would be good.
I think seeing his regular veterinarian is fine because they know him well and have his previous records.

If he were running a high fever or was open mouth breathing I would feel differently. Then that would indicate an urgent condition.
I would expect that his veterinarian will want to check blood work, so a 12 hour fast is best, ***** ***** will want to aspirate his swollen nodes, and/or possibly biopsy the swollen nodes.

Best of luck with your fellow, please let me know if you have any further questions.

they don't feel swollen

I am glad to hear that.

But since she is coughing and has two lumps in areas where we find external lymph nodes I do recommend an exam and an aspirate. If this is lymphoma it is one of the cancers we have had fairly good success controlling, and the earlier we catch them the better.

It is possible that these are more benign lumps, perhaps lipomas or sebaceous cysts, and that would be even better news, but she should be examined to make sure.