Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I took my dog to a school parking lot to walk since snow and…

Customer Question
I took my dog...

I took my dog to a school parking lot to walk since snow and frigid temps prohibited elsewhere. he peed and it was red in the snow. I immediately went home and looked where he pees. It was all yellow. I watched him pee the next several times at home and it was light yellow. A good color. Could there have been some chemical reaction with salt in the snow in the school parking lot that made it red?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?

No, i saw him pee and when it hit the snow it was red

Veterinarian's Assistant: The Expert will ask you more detailed questions to find out what is causing this. What is the dog's name and age?

Alfile and he's 11

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Alfile?

He just had blood work 2 months ago and all was normal

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
1/8/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Kara, Veterinarian replied 6 months ago
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

I called my veterinarian and am taking in a urine sample. This process took longer than I expected. Thanks

I understand your concern about the red color of Alfie's urine in the snow, and puzzlement about normal looking urine when he urinated several times subsequently.

It is possible that he urinated on a de-icer product that was high in iron and thus his urine could look rust or reddish in color.

But it is also possible that he cleared a bit of blood that had been sitting in his reproductive/urinary tract with his first urination. Un-neutered males can have prostatic disease that presents this way.

So I highly recommend that you at least have a urine sample checked for trace amounts of blood, even though he seems normal now.

I see that you are planning in doing that, excellent!

Please let me know if you have any questions about the test results.