Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

She hasn't go e poop on 24 hours, she has no appetite she is…

Customer Question
She hasn't go e...

She hasn't go e poop on 24 hours, she has no appetite she is drinking water, she did go actually 4 small hard marble like poop late last night. She was vomiting some yellow foam too.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?

Not to my knowledge, but she does like to eat strange things like wood.

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name and age?

Sheila / 3

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Sheila?

I know she is in some sort of pain, she was up all night wanting me to comfort her...

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
She Has not appetite either.
1/8/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 1 month ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but I wanted to touch base with you about Sheila.

Now if she has had no appetite and is vomiting, she won't have much stool to pass (since little in means little out). That said, if she is painful, I do have to warn that all these signs can be seen with ingestion of harmful items (ie toxins, plants, non-edible items), especially those that can cause blockages. Otherwise, we can see GI upset in general appear this way when dogs have bacterial or viral gastroenteritis, pancreatitis, parasites/protozoa infections, or dietary indiscretions.

With this all in mind, we can try some home supportive care to try to help her. To start, if she hasn’t just vomited (since otherwise we’d need to rest her stomach for a few hours first), then you can consider treating her with a OTC pet safe antacid. [ie Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid), Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac), Tagamet (More Info/Dose Here @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/cimetidine-hcl-tagamet)]. Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before food to allow absorption. Of course, do double check with your vet if she has a known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned. Though if you give this and she cannot keep it down due to nausea that is usually a red flag that we need to bypass her mouth with injectable anti-vomiting medication from her vet.

If we can get that vomiting settled, we can follow the antacid with small meals of an easily digestible diet like cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (as long as its garlic/onion free). Fiber (ie canned pumpkin) and OTC cat hair ball paste can be added to these meals to help push anything in the gut through (including stool) to help get her going again. As we do that we also need to keep her drinking well since constipation can be worsened with dehydration. So offer water or tempt with lactose free milk or low salt broth to keep her taking in fluids.

Overall, her signs do raise a few concerns here. Therefore, we’d want to start supportive care to nausea and promote stool (and anything else) moving through her gut. Of course, if she cannot keep that or water down at any point, has a pale gums or a painful belly (sometimes a blockage sign), or doesn’t respond to the above within 12-24 hours; then we'd want to get her vet involved. They can assess her check for blockages, start injectable anti-vomiting medication +/- give an enema if needed to get her back feeling like herself.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok, I did not jeare from anyone in over an hour so I went ahead and gave her 2 teaspoons of Milk of Magnesia.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
At 11:30

My apologies that I could not reply to you sooner (as I am sure you can appreciate I have my own patients to see during the week), but hopefully you used the above and she has responded. Milk of Magnesia would have not been a major issue but do be aware that it can actually constipate them at some doses.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian