Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I am on SSI and cant afford vet costs. Zoey is my 6 yr. old…

Customer Question
Good Morning...

Good Morning My name is***** am on SSI and cant afford vet costs. Zoey is my 6 yr. old female Pit Bull mix. Her right ear is swelled up like a balloon and I believe it is filled with puss or blood

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the dog's name?

Zoey

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Zoey?

Other then the little bit of pain and discomfort She is energetic and loves to play She is eating and sleeping well She has been fixed

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
1/8/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Kara, Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

I'm sorry to hear about Zoey's swollen ear.

Does this swelling feel like a water balloon?

Is it part of the ear flap?

Has she been shaking her head?

Does she now or has she ever had an ear infection?

Does it look like the dog in this link below? (can be smaller but this will give you a general idea) https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSP22YeYjTDsYPXpDMZCd5QG6g7BWmHlY59N2ZcNY7t_OfZh7qG

If so then this is likely an ear hematoma. This happens when a blood vessel in the ear breaks and the area inside the ear flap fills with blood.
It is usually from them shaking their head/ears repeatedly from an ear infection.
But sometimes they just shake their head a few times, hit the ear on something and a blood vessel breaks leading to bleeding.

If it is very small (nickel size) it may heal on its own just fine as the blood is reabsorbed.
You can apply a cool compress for 5 to 10 minutes at a time to the swollen area the first 24 to 48 hours, then pat dry and apply cortisone cream (like cortaid) twice daily to help reduce inflammation.

After 48 hours try a warm compress rather than cold to speed healing and improve circulation and then cortisone ointment.

But if it's larger then it may need to be drained and/or sutured so it doesn't refill.

If you notice any odor or increased waxy debris then she may have an early infection which started all this, and then she should definitely see a veterinarian for proper treatment no matter that size of the swelling is.

If she is scratching at her ear quite a bit or seems bothered by the swelling you can give her Benadryl (diphenhydramine) at a dose of 1mg to 2mgs per pound of body weight orally every 8 hours (two 25mg tabs per 50 pound dog every 8 hours). This will reduce allergic itchiness and can make her sleepy which should help her leave the ear alone.

If she is rubbing the ear or scratching at it placing an elizabethan (lampshade) collar is recommended so she doesn't further traumatize her ear, which could enlarge the hematoma, or lead to an infection.

If your regular veterinarian is beyond your means financially now your other option is to contact your local shelter or humane society and see if they run a low cost clinic or know of one in your area.
If not here is a web-page that lists some that may be able to help:
http://www.humanesociety.org/animals/resources/tips/trouble_affording_pet.html?credit=web_id91754962#Assistance_by_state
Other sources of help can be found here: http://speakingforspot.com/?p=Financial%20Assistance%20for%20Veterinary%20Care

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Kara

Hello, I wanted to make sure that you didn't have any further questions for me, and I'd like to know how things turned out for your pup. If you could give me an update that would be great, thank you, ***** *****