Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Last night I was giving my little maltese a bath a little…

Customer Question
So, last night I...

So, last night I was giving my little maltese a bath a little grooming, as I was cutting some hair off his nose he jumped and I cut his lip with the scissors. It bled for 20 minutes or so. I immediately began cleaning the area and have been cleaning with diluted peroxide and water. My concern is that I cut his lip and his black lip is peel back and swollen. Should I just continue to clean to prevent infection or do you think I should take him to the vet? I feel so terrible! thank you

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Is the dog bleeding a lot?

He is not bleeding anymore, it stopped after 20 minutes or so and was not a whole lot

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?

Not that i can think of

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
1/8/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Altman, Veterinarian replied 1 month ago
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you today! Please give me a few moments to respond and I will be back momentarily!

I would strongly encourage an exam. The mouth is full of bacteria and this is going to be exposed into this wound and increase risk of infection so I would always recommend an examination to ensure this isn't infected and that antibiotics are not warranted

Please use ivory soap and water or oatmeal based dog shampoo versus peroxide which has been found to delay wound healing. You can also use benadryl 1 mg/ pound every 8 hours to help with the itching and rubbing of the area to allow healing

I would recommend a veterinary exam now versus monitoring as a precaution with this area that was affected. Please let me know how else I can assist you both today

Resending:

Good evening, i am going to be signing off but wanted to check in to see if you got your little one to the vet today? I would love an update when you are able

If the information I have provided was helpful I would be grateful if you would rate our chat with the stars at the top of the screen so I am compensated for my time. Thank you and best of luck to you both, truly!

Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian