Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 13 year old male beagle coughs a lot. He wakes up

Customer Question
My 13 year old...

My 13 year old male beagle coughs a lot. He wakes up coughing. He has long periods of time without coughing and then starts again.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Coughing can be worrying. The Expert will know what you should do. What is the beagle's name?

I have on occasion given him honey. Helps some. Wondering about natural remedies. One client/vet who had not seen him said he may have an elongated palate that could be shortened with surgery. His name is***** don't want to have him undergo a surgery.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Duke?

His vet has listened to his heart and lungs and says he sounds fine. My other dog, Freckles, is his littermate and a female.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
1/8/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian replied 3 months ago
Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Good morning and welcome to Justanswer. I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian, and would like to help.I am so sorry to hear that your sweet Duke is having trouble. I worry, even though the heart sounds good , This may still be Congestive heart Failure. This is the most common cause for coughing. Have your vet run an EKG to be sure since treatment can stop this coughing. In the meantime, give Duke Robitussin DM at 1 teaspoon per 20 pounds of his weight every 8 hrs. This is available at the pharmacy over the counter. If this is not helping, have your vet run the diagnostics to determine the cause for Dukes Cough.Does that make sense to you?Please let me know if you have any other questions. I am always happy to help.
thank you. Good day. Sincerely, *****
You are very welcome, Connie...I hope your sweet Duke will do well. Have a wonderful day!!
Is it ok to give Duke both Benedryl and the Robitussin DM cough syrup at night so he can rest? It's hard to give him the cough syrup because he doesn't like it. I have been putting it on rice with grated cheese on top and he will eat it. Can I give him the Robitussin gel tabs? They have 10 ml of ingredients, which is more than 2 teaspoons of medicine. You originally prescribed 1 teaspoon per 20 lbs of weight. He weighs 33 pounds. I cut a tablet thinking it was a gel, like a gummy bear, but the caplet is hard, when I cut it the edges were sharp. I didn't think this was safe, because it could cut his insides.I made an appt today for him to have an EKG. Do you have any questions that I should ask?He has been coughing a lot at night. Poor guy. I figured out that he is 14, not 13 years old. He is the love of my life. We live in Anchorage, Alaska. It is very dry here this time of year. Would a humidifier help him?Thank you.
Sincerely, *****
Hi Connie....I know you are worried about your sweet Duke and it is great that you made an appointment with your vet to check his heart. I worry that this may be the problem. There is no need to ask your vet anything since , at Duke’s age, Congestive Heart Failure would be high on the list and testing for this is important. Until then, you can give Benadryl at 1 mg per pound every 12 hrs along with the Robitussin but I would urge you to only use the liquid. The capsules are too hard to deal with and get a correct dose that will help your sweet Duke. Good luck!! Please let me know, Connie, how he is doing. Thanks!
Thank you. I'll let you know how he is doing. His appt is at 4:40 pm today.
Sincerely, *****
Execellent, Connie...looking forward to some good news for Duke....:-))
Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian