Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Ear infection possible. Lab. Labrador. GUNNER 9 months.

Customer Question
Ear infection possible Veterinarian's...

Ear infection possible

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What sort of animal are we talking about?

Lab

Veterinarian's Assistant: Maybe I'm confused. I thought you had a problem with a pet. Is that correct?

Yes Labrador

Veterinarian's Assistant: There are all sorts of infections the Lab can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the Lab's name and age?

GUNNER 9 months

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the Lab's name?

Gunner

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Gunner?

He is shaking his head and I would like to know if there is one thing he can take to treat ear infection and possible ear mites

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 hour by:
1/8/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian replied 3 months ago
Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help with this concern about Gunner although I'm sorry that you've had to wait for a response.

Please give me a few minutes to type back a response for you. Deb

I can understand why you might think ear mites would be a problem but this isn't a commonly seen issue in dogs; it's much more common in dogs. More than likely, he has developed what I'll call a "simple" ear infection which, hopefully, will respond to the treatment that I'll outline below.

1. Cleaning them with a product specifically designed for this purpose is a first good step; I would clean them once/day for at least 7-10 days.

You can purchase ear cleaners at most pet or grain stores or you can use 50/50 white vinegar and water. Bacterial and yeast don't like an acid environment which is why this solution may help but it doesn't loosen up the wax as well as an ear cleaner would do.

2. Ear infections are usually secondary to either a bacterial or yeast overgrowth; you won't necessarily be able to tell which is it just by looking,....or even smelling for that matter.

If yeast is involved (usually the material in the ear is very black and dark), then you can try over the counter Clotrimazole which is available at human pharmacies. This is not a dog product but a human one. If bacterial (usually the material is more yellowish in color), then you can use over the counter anti-bacterial products such as you would use on a wound for yourself...neomycin, bacitracin, neosporin, for example.

Zymox is another acceptable product which may be of benefit regardless of whether this is a yeast or bacterial infection: http://www.zymox.net/

Ears should be treated twice a day for 7-10 days.

3. If they appear more inflamed when you're using the products, then they may be causing a drug reaction and the products should be discontinued.

This is a good link that provides pictures of the above procedures. http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=1569
This is another link that discusses underlying causes of many ear infections. http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=632

If you don't start to see improvement within a few days and/or the ears worsen (which isn't likely), then a vet visit may be a good idea.

I hope this helps although, again, my apologies for the delayed reply. Deb

Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian