Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

The last 3 nights in a row our dog has thrown up his dinner…

Customer Question
The last 3 nights...

The last 3 nights in a row our dog has thrown up his dinner immediately after eating it. I'm getting very concerned

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?

That I wouldn't be able to tell you unfortunately. I have just bought a house with property and he has been running around and playing outside all the time. There are a lot of plants and trees all around

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?

As in?

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
1/8/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 1 month ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Please let me know if you still need help. May I have an update on your dog, please? How old is he?

Regretfully, while such vomiting is an important sign, it's not pathognomonic (specifically indicative) of any one particular disorder. Simple dietary indiscretions and complex metabolic disorders can result in such vomiting. Have any other symptoms arisen that might help clarify why he's been vomiting?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hi thanks for replying. His 5 years old and I can't see any other symptoms of things wrong. Apart from throwing up his dinner 3 nights in a row, his been perfectly fine. Always running around playing. He eats his treats, lasr night I gave him a cup of dry food because I could tell he was hungry and he was able to keep that down. He also drinks water fine. When he does throw up, he goes to the garden to do it and once done he then burys it with his nose

That's very considerate of him! I'm willing to give these dogs 72 hours to normalize as that's the usual time frame for simple dietary indiscretion patients to normalize. When symptoms of GI distress persist longer than that, it's best to have a vet involved. His retaining the dry food last night hopefully is a good sign that the worst is over. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian