Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Identify a msg earlier about my 20 lb chiweenie who ate a…

Customer Question
Identify a msg earlier...

Identify a msg earlier about my 20 lb chiweenie who ate a bowl of onion soup. The vet told me to give him 2 Tbs of hydrogen peroxide, which I just did.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What sort of animal are we talking about?

20 lb chiweenie

Veterinarian's Assistant: Maybe I'm confused. I thought you had a problem with a pet. Is that correct?

Yes it is a dog

Veterinarian's Assistant: The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?

Shorty and he is 9

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
1/8/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian replied 3 months ago
Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr Gary. I've been practicing veterinary medicine since 2007. I look forward to helping with your questions/ concerns.

Honestly, I would not do anything about this ingestion. A one time ingestion of onions is rarely a serious issue.

Onions are more of a concern if it's a chronic toxicity over days. We could potentially have a toxic problem, but it would be quite rare. In that case, we see toxicity of red blood cells and red cell destruction. This leads to anemia and jaundice.

For now, I wouldn't do anything. It's not wrong to induce vomiting, but it's probably not necessary.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian