Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Our 6 month old boxer puppy has been urinating on the floor…

Customer Question
Our 6 month old...

Our 6 month old boxer puppy has been urinating on the floor multiple times in an hour at least 7 times.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the Boxer's name?

Marshmellow We call him mellow

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Mellow?

Not that I know of

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/8/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Altman, Veterinarian replied 1 month ago
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you today! Please give me a few moments to respond and I will be back momentarily!

I am sorry to hear that your puppy is having these accidents. There are a handful of causes of urinary accidents as you describe:

1.) A urinary tract infection

2.) Bladder stones or crystals that traumatize the bladder causing pain and urgency to urinate

3.) A bladder tumor, most likely in a senior pet but cannot be completely ruled out in a younger dog

4.) Behavioral causes, either stress related or a behavioral change that requires a different approach

5.) Kidney changes, even in a dog that is otherwise not showing any changes in behavior or personality

First and foremost we need to rule out the first two. Collecting a first morning sample in a tupperware container and refrigerating the sample if more than an hour old to have your vet evaluate the sample will help rule out infection versus stones/ crystals

Your vet will run a urinalysis, potentially do a urine culture to look for bacteria, an X-ray to rule out a bladder stone, and bloodwork to ensure there is not a metabolic cause or kidney issues causing the symptoms

Diagnosing the issue will help determine how best to treat the accidents in the house. If medical causes are ruled out then behavioral modification maybe warranted but I would definitely rule out medical causes first and foremost with the abrupt nature of the accidents today

Please let me know if you have any additional questions I can assist with, I am online another 30 minutes tonight

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION. Bonuses are always welcome (I am not compensated in any other way). Thanks!

Good morning, I wanted to check in on Marshmellow to see if he is more comfortable today and the frequent urination has subsided? I would love an update when you are able

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian