Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My diabetic dog threw up morning meal. What should I️ do…

Customer Question
My diabetic dog threw...

My diabetic dog threw up morning meal . What should I️ do about evening insulin? I plan to give rice cooked in chicken broth with bits of chicken

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?

No, we had a heavy snowstorm two days ago and we’ve only walked briefly in front of house. He gets Hill’s U/D dry food mixed with a spoonful of beneful moist food in morning

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. The Expert will know what to do. What is the dog's name?

Tug, and he’s a Lhasa apso mix who just turned 11

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?

He is also blind from cataracts

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
1/7/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Altman, Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you today! Please give me a few moments to respond and I will be back momentarily!

Please feed smaller more frequent meals tonight and the broth be salt free or low salt. In addition:

- Pepcid 0.25 mg/ pound every 12 hours for 3-5 days to help settle the stomach
- Insulin only 1/2 dose tonight
- Even if the leash walks are around your house to help the gut begin to be motile again as well as reduce nausea

Fingers crossed this was an isolated incident and the bland diet with antacid will help calm Tug's stomach and rebound the gi upset.

Please let me know how else I can assist you both today

I only have Ranitidine tablets maximum strength 150 mg and can’t get out due to the snow

How much does Tug weigh? It is very concentrated and hard to ration for little dogs but I will give you a dose based on his weight

The dose is 1-2 mg/kg every 8-12 hours so depending on Tug's weight you can calculate the concentration but am happy to assist with this if needed

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both

If the information I have provided was helpful I would be grateful if you would rate our chat with the stars at the top of the screen so I am compensated for my time. Thank you and best of luck to you both, truly!

Good morning, I wanted to check in on Tug to see if he is more comfortable today and the vomiting has subsided? I would love an update when you are able

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Altman