Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

He was diagnosed with lymphoma. A dog. He was diagnosed with…

He was diagnosed with...

He was diagnosed with lymphoma

Veterinarian's Assistant: What sort of animal are we talking about?

A dog

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the dog?

He was diagnosed with lymphoma when we notices that he had a large knot in his throat

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does the dog seem to hurt?

He dosent

Veterinarian's Assistant: Can you see anything that looks wrong or different?

No

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. Nothing visually obvious. Is the dog eating normally?

Yes

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. No appetite problems. Is the dog having trouble peeing or pooing?

Nope

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. No obvious problems there. How is the dog behaving differently?

Hes not

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name and age?

Jack 5 years old

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Jack

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Jack?

Jack was diagnosed with lymphoma a few weeks ago, before they knew it was cancer for sure they gave us antibiotics in case the swollen lymph nodes were from an infection. We continued to give him the antibiotics after the results of cancer came back and they seemed to dramatically decrease the size of his lymph nodes. but now that we ran out of the antibiotics they are getting larger again. could this really be an infection?

1/7/2018
Kelly Jones
Kelly Jones, Dog Veterinarian

Hi my name is***** am happy to help you.

Can you tell me what test they ran to diagnose lymphoma? Depending on the test, if it is positive, then it would not be due to an infection. What is the name of the antibiotic that he was put on? Was he started on a medication called Prednisone yet?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I don’t know what test they did other than they took a sample of the enlarged lymph node and sent it off to the lab. Not sure on the antibiotic. He is not on prednisone. He had four enlarged lymph nodes and within two to three days on the antibiotics they all went down to where we could only feel one now after a few days of completing what we had they are getting larger again.

So if they sent it to the laboratory, sometimes the pathologists can tell if it is cancer just by looking at the sample. Other times another test called PARR or Flow cytometry is needed in order to tell it is cancer.

Sometimes cancer can be misdiagnosed as infection because when there is an infection, the lymphocytes can look very angry and cancerous. If he was only on antibiotics, I would not expect the lymph nodes to shrink if it was cancer.

If Jack was my patient and the diagnosis of cancer was not 100%, I would be doing some follow up testing to be sure.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
all he was on was an antibiotic. We decided against any type of steroid or chemo. He has no other symptoms of the lymphoma either. His appetite is normal he’s fine with bathroom issues as well. If you were us what would you suggest? Try a different vet? Ask them to run the test again?
I would try to get a copy of the report so I can read it, it would tell me exactly what the pathologist said. Then I can let you know if I would run additional tests.Also, prednisone is the best medication to bring the highest quality of life while delaying the effects of lymphoma for a few weeks. You would want to complete all testing before starting prednisone since prednisone can hinder test results.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I will ask for the report tomorrow and get it to you asap
Ok I will be on the lookout for that!
that is the notes but on those notes it talks about sent cytology off to Idexx? That is the part I want to see
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok let me call the vet again
Ok, then yes, the pathologist was able to confirm this. Prednisone would be the best treatment if you have decided not to do chemo.
The antibiotics may have helped a little but will not help like steroids will
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok thank you
I’m sorry :( if you run into any more questions don’t hesitate to reply.If you could do me a favor and rate the answer, it ensures that I get paid.
Kelly Jones
Kelly Jones, Dog Veterinarian
Kelly Jones
Kelly Jones
Kelly Jones, Dog Veterinarian