Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

8 year old healthy labradoodle. stopped using his right leg,

Customer Question
8 year old healthy...

8 year old healthy labradoodle.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the dog?

Stopped using his right leg, no trauma, no injuries. 2 days ago got into chocolate bag. He has been completely fine til a few hours ago. He seems like he is not paying attention almost like a seizure????

Veterinarian's Assistant: Seizures always look scary. Let's get you talking to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name?

Elvis

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Elvis?

No otherwise helthy

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
1/7/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Joey, Board Certified replied 4 months ago
Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified

Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for asking your question and trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 17 years of experience. I'm sorry to hear Elvis is not using one of his legs.

I do not think we can link this to chocolate ingestion, though. Usually if a dog is going to have a problem after eating chocolate it happens with a few hours. There is not a 2 day delay. So, he probably is fine after eating chocolate unless you think he had some sort of trauma associated with the event.

For concern with seizures, a partial seizure involving one leg is possible but you should see trembling/shaking or something to indicate it is having a seizure there. It will also be episodic and not all the time. If he is lame and not using the leg then this is more likely to be an orthopedic problem or perhaps radiating nerve pain from his spine.

he is very jumpy and when we try to pet him he will move all extremities but has been acting very lethargic over the past 2.5 hrs. he is not interested in any treats, he is just laying down allowing us to pet him but very jumpy
any further thoughts about seizure?? prior to me calling

I am unfortunately unable to place a phone call based upon the laws in my state. If this is something you want, I would need to opt out and have another expert who can do this step in.

For now, with regard to seizures, it is always possible he had a seizure. It makes most dogs "off" for a while afterward (a few minutes to several hours) during which time a dog may be jumpy. It is a medical emergency if he is cluster seizing (having one after another) with obvious grand mal seizures (the true shaking/trembling, convulsions) or having a continuous seizure. Otherwise, I am not sure I could say exactly why he is jumpy. There are some toxins/medicatons dogs can eat that make them very jumpy. If you think he ate something then this is an emergency as those that can cause this (metamphetamines, some decongestants, some antidepressants, etc) then please take him to be seen on emergency now.

I am at a point I need to know what questions you have.

I hope that the information I provided has been helpful.

Please let me know if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer.

If you received all the information you needed, then please take a moment to submit a rating.

Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified