Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog just had ACL surgery about three weeks ago. We have…

Customer Question
My dog just had ACL...
My dog just had ACL surgery about three weeks ago. We have working the recovery exercises but 2 days ago she jumped off the bed and is now limping. Could this mean she has reinjured the knee again? Would she need another surgery? I have started all rehab all over again. Thank you.
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 hour by:
1/7/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Altman, Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you today! Please give me a few moments to respond and I will be back momentarily!

I am so sorry that Skip took this step back in recovery. Unfortunately a recheck examination is going to be necessary to differentiate a strain versus a reinjury related to the surgery. I would return to no exercises and doing the rotational warm and cool compresses as well as massage of the area until you can get into your veterinarian but palpation and potentially re x-ray of the stifle is going to be necessary to determine if there were issues with the surgical repair

Hopefully taking a step back, removing the exercises and resting the leg will allow Skip to begin recovering well again but the veterinarian that did the surgery needs to evaluate the knee to be sure. If he is toe touching and using the leg to some degree this is definitely a positive sign

Please let me know how else I can assist you both today

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both

If the information I have provided was helpful I would be grateful if you would rate our chat with the stars at the top of the screen so I am compensated for my time. Thank you and best of luck to you both, truly!