Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My 20 lb Poodle has been on 25mg twice daily for a couple of…

Customer Question
My 20 lb Poodle...

My 20 lb Poodle has been on 25mg twice daily for a couple of years and just today has started leaking again, can I safely increase the dosage?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the dog's name and age?

Her name is ***** ***** she is 13 years old

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Wicca?

She is scheduled to have surgery for anal sac removal on this Tuesday

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
1/7/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Meghan Denney, Dog Veterinarian replied 1 month ago
Dr. Meghan Denney
Dr. Meghan Denney, Dog Veterinarian

Hi, I am Dr. Denney. I am currently reviewing your post now. Please give me a few minutes to type my response. Thank you for trusting us with your question. This service is used for general information only and is no substitute for a veterinarian-patient relationship by examination.

Which medication is Wicca on? Is it for urinary incontinence? Is it Proin?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Proin

Sometimes when the dose of Proin stops working it can mean there is the beginnings of a UTI (urinary tract infection). I would check her urine first and make sure that is not the case before changing her dose.

How long has she been on Proin?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
She just finished a course of anti-biotics for anal sac infection

Also, this medication can mess with their blood pressure ( causing hypertension and heart issues) if increased.

I really do think Wicca may have a urinary tract infection or bladder wall inflammation from another cause (since she is coming of antibiotics) or if she does have a urinary tract infection the antibiotics used for her anal gland infection may not be one that the bacteria in her urine is susceptible to.

There are some really resistance bacteria that can grow in the urinary tract and if she has a bacteria called e.coli in her urine most antibiotics will not kill off that bacteria.

I would call your regular veterinarian tomorrow morning and see if we can get her bladder and urine checked for infection or inflammation. If there is nothing found then she may need to switch to a different urinary incontinence medication.

There is a medication called Incurin that we can switch her too if the proin is no longer working.

I hope this helps guide you. I wish an increase in Proin would be the recommendation, but given its blood pressure effects at higher dosages, I cannot recommend that. She really may have a nasty bug in her urinary tract and once diagnosed and treated the Proin should go back to working.

If this was helpful I would be most appreciative if you could take the time to rate my assistance so the site will credit me with helping you

Without a rating (the stars at the top) the site will not compensate me for helping you.

I am also here for additional questions you may have, just reach out to me here and I will be more than happy to assist you.

Kind regards,

Dr. Meghan Denney

This Content is not intended to be a substitute for a professional veterinary exam, diagnostics, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your attending veterinarian with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition of a pet.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Meghan Denney
Dr. Meghan Denney
Dr. Meghan Denney
Dr. Meghan Denney, Dog Veterinarian