Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My friends dog is had a seizure an still shaky. She is been…

Customer Question
My friends dog is...

My friends dog is had a seizure an still shaky. She is been with him for 16 years an has cancer. He can't afford a vet an was needing advice on what to do for her

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Seizures always look scary. Let's get you talking to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name?

Mandi

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Mandi?

She is blind an has cancer

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/7/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is Rebecca; I am a veterinarian. Please give me a moment to type my answer.

I am sorry to hear about your friend's dog. Thank you for helping them.

Seizures in older dogs can be from low blood sugar, so trying to get liquids and food into Mandi might help. Is she eating and drinking? Your friend can try rubbing some Karo syrup or honey onto Mandi's gums directly.

Sadly, another cause of seizures in older dogs is a brain tumor. Anti seizure medication might help, but you have to get it from a veterinarian.

Ask your friend to lift Mandi's lip and check her gums; are they pink or pale? Another cause of seizure in older dogs is heart disease, casing poor circulation and not enough oxygen to the brain.

I hope you are seeing my responses; please let me know if this information is helpful and what other questions you have.

I did not hear from you; how is Mandi?

Kindly consider rating my answer to notify the website I am assisting you; you can always get back to me with questions and updates after rating.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?