Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 11 year old pit appeared to have just had a seizure. He…

Customer Question
My 11 year old...

My 11 year old pit bull appeared to have just had a seizure. He was walking, then stopped and started shaking a little, and spit was pouring out his mouth. It lasted about 20 seconds, then he was very disoriented, clammy, and couldn't get up from a seated position.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Seizures always look scary. Let's get you talking to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name?

Opie

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Opie?

He has been having some trouble breathing at night. He has several little skin tags and his hips have some arthritis.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
1/7/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Kelly Jones, Dog Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Kelly Jones
Kelly Jones, Dog Veterinarian

Hi, my name is***** sounds like Opie did have a seizure. They are hard to watch for sure. Afterwards when you described that he was disoriented, this is called the post-ictal phase which is just the phase of confusion after having a seizure.

Since he has only had 1 seizure, he wouldn't be started on medication unless he had another one. Unfortunately the main reason why an older dog suddenly has seizures is due to a brain tumor. In order to find a brain tumor, a MRI at a neurologist would be the next step.

In addition, Opie should have bloodwork done to ensure that the glucose wasn't too low, kidney enzymes are not high or any other problems can could cause a seizure.

I am worried that his trouble breathing could also signify something else going on so a x-ray of his chest should also be done.

I'm so sorry your bud had a seizure. =( What follow up questions do you have?

Kelly Jones
Kelly Jones
Kelly Jones, Dog Veterinarian