Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have a 10 yr old Bichon/poodle mix, he can't even keep…

Customer Question
Hello I have a...

Hello I have a 10 yr old Bichon/poodle mix, he can't even keep water down, this started during the night, he keeps wanting to drink water, but throws up shortly after drinking. He has no interest in food and of course it's very cold here, but he seems to shiver even when covered up with a blanket

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the Bichon eat anything unusual?

No, his little poodle brother also throwed up this morning, but he ate some lunch and appears to be ok now.

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. The Expert will know what to do. What is the Bichon's name?

His name is*****: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Frostie?

He's been treated recently for a bacterial skin infection and he's taking 1/2 Prednisolone (5 mg) every other day, but he's been on this since 12/8/17 and had no side effects, don't think this has anything to do with current situation.. He ways approx. 22 lb..

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
1/7/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Altman, Veterinarian replied 6 months ago
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you today! Please give me a few moments to respond and I will be back momentarily!

I am so sorry to hear your dog is vomiting. Unfortunately even if the steroids don't have anything to do with the cause of the vomiting and malaise it weakens the immune system and makes a dog (or person) more open to infection.

First, please remove the water. If there is continued actively vomiting we want to minimize anything orally to stop the nausea and abdominal cramping resulting in vomiting. I know the thought is your pet needs to drink to maintain hydration but if there is actively vomiting even water there is risk of becoming more dehydrated with water intake.

If there is no improvement then please consider having your dog seen by a veterinarian sooner rather than later. They can give injectable medications to bypass the intestinal tract and hopefully get the nausea under control

1- Keep indoors to avoid eating grass/ leaves for 6-8 hours from last vomiting episode

2- Offer a small amount of water (1-2 teaspoons hourly) for a few hours

3- Start Pepcid (famotidine) 0.25 mg/ pound every 12 hours OR prilosec (omeprazole) 0.5 mg/ pound daily for the next 3 days with the second administration of water (crushed if needed)

4-If no vomiting, offer small amount of white rice and boiled boneless or ground chicken or ground beef. For example, one tablespoon hourly for a few hours then slowly start to increase the amount while reducing the frequency. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet.

5- If vomiting continues after doing the above, I would encourage having your family veterinarian perform an examination to determine the next step to getting Frostie comfortable and what exactly the underlying cause is.

Indications your dog should be seen by a veterinary er sooner include: sticky gums that are pale, yellow, blue, purple, temperature rectally >103.5, progressive lethargy with less responsiveness to you, vomiting or diarrhea that includes blood, resting respiratory rate (breaths per minute) >60, swollen abdomen.

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses and hope that Frostie is more comfortable today. I would love an update when you are able

If the information I have provided was helpful I would be grateful if you would rate our chat with the stars at the top of the screen so I am compensated for my time. Thank you and best of luck to you both, truly!