Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My beagle is about 17 years old,she has diminished movement…

Customer Question
My beagle is about...

My beagle is about 17 years old,she has diminished movement of her back legs and dragging them and crossing them.She still eats and drinks and goes to duty with my help.She has loss weight.She stills responds to her name

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with your beagle?

She has diminished movement of her legs and goes to duty with my help, she is about 17 years old, she has loss weight and still eats and drinks, still responds to her name.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does your beagle seem to hurt?

Her back legs ,tend to cross while walking,can't seem to put weight on them,tend to bend

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. No obvious pain. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?

None

Veterinarian's Assistant: The Expert will ask you more detailed questions to find out what is causing this. What is the beagle's name?

Brownie

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
1/7/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian replied 3 months ago
Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian

Hello. My name is***** am happy to help you with your question. Give me just a moment to respond and type.

Has she had any spine or hip x-rays taken recently? What treatments or medications have been tried so far?

No and none

Thank you.

The most likely cause would be a degenerative joint disease or arthritis. That can occur as the dogs age. It can be in the spine or the hips.

The changes in the joints, including the joints of the spine, can put abnormal pressure on the nerves that go to the legs.

So the nerve signals are interrupted.

Of course, I can not say that is the cause without x-rays.

There are spongy discs between the vertebrae of the spine as well. They can herniate out or bulge out. A "herniated disc" or "slipped disc" is an example. That can interrupt nerve signals as well.

There are other conditions that affect the nerves and spinal cord but degenerative joint disease or a spinal disc issue would be more common causes.

If it is really bothering her, she should see the vet. It sounds like it is severe enough that nothing over the counter will help much. The vet can prescribe an anti-inflammatory, cortisone, and pain medication to help keep her more comfortable and to help if there is any joint or nerve inflammation.

Does that make sense to you? Do you have any other questions I may assist you with?

Hi Rick,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian