Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

He is panting and scratching his stomach and is chewing at…

He is panting and...

He is panting and scratching his stomach and is chewing at his skin on his hips until it is almost bleeding

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know what to do about this bleeding. I'll connect you ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?

He is a torque about 2yrs old and about ten lbs

1/7/2018
Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian

Hello. My name is***** am happy to help you with your question. Give me just a moment to respond and type.

Did this just start today? Do you see any fleas or flea dirt over his lower back? Flea dirt looks like specs of black pepper. The fleas most commonly bite over the lower back and hip area. If he is allergic t flea saliva, he would have a big allergic reaction over the lower back hip area. You may not ever see the flea because the flea bites then jumps off.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
just today. He was wearing a shirt and I remove it and in a few minutes he started scratching.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No fleas

So first give him a bath in a gentle shampoo or oatmeal shampoo.

In dogs, allergens get on the skin then go through the skin to cause an allergic reaction.

So giving a bath will wash any allergens on the skin, off the skin.

Give benadryl to help with the itching.

1 mg of benadryl per each pound of dog every 12 hours.

So give him 1/2 of a 25 mg benadryl tablet or 4 mls of the liquid every 12 hours.

Apply over the counter human hydrocortisone cream to the itching area 2-3 times a day.

Hold an ice pack over the itchy ares for 20 minutes every hour as needed.

It sounds like he is having a big allergic reaction so it may take a cortisone injection, from a vet, to stop the itching.

The emergency clinic is open 24-7 over the weekend and the regular vet should be open in the morning.

How does that sound? Do you have any other questions I may assist you with?

If you are all set for the moment, please rate my answer by clicking on the stars above. That is how the website pays me for my time.

You can still reply even after rating my answer.

Many Thanks

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you .you helped ease my mind

Glad to help. I hope he feels better.

Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian