Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog was neutered four days ago and his scrotum is swollen…

Customer Question
My dog was neutered...

My dog was neutered four days ago and his scrotum is swollen and black.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the dog's name?

Cato

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/7/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 6 months ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Is the scrotum sore?

Can you take a photo of this for me to assess? To post it, you can use the paper clip button on the tool bar above the text box (last icon). Or if you cannot see that, then post it on any site (ie Flickr, Photobucket, Imgr Instagram, etc) & paste the link here for me.

Thank you for those photos,

From what I can see there, he has a hematoma which is from a small bleed within the scrotum (some of the black also just looks like skin pigment). Its quite common and often will be due to them being a bit more active then they should have been post-op. If Cato isn't sore with it and it doesn't become severely swollen, then we just need to rest him and can gently warm compress the area. Just to note, you can make a safe warmer for use as a compress by filling a clean sock 2/3rds full with uncooked white rice. Tie it closed and microwave (approx 1-1.5 min). Before use, do make sure to shake to allow the heat to distribute before using as a compress. (If it cools, you can re-warm as required). Of course, if it were sore or very tight/swollen then we could have him back to his vet for a post op check (usually included in the neuter cost) for anti-inflammatories to be dispensed +/- they could go back in and check for a bleed to ligate (but I don't think that will be necessary with what we have here). So, we'd want to rest Cato and warm compress to help his body resorb that bit of blood and reduce this.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

Thanks!

You are very welcome, my dear. :)

Have a lovely day,

Dr. B.

*********************************

I aim to provide the best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please take the time rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) afterwards as otherwise the site does not credit me for helping you. There is no extra fee for this (its included in your question fee). Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you for helping me to keep helping everyone here. : )**