Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog had a bout of pancreatitis about a month ago. She is…

My dog had a...

My dog had a bout of pancreatitis about a month ago. She is on royal canin food for pancreatitis and has been doing very good. She got ahold of a little of our daughters dog food 2 days ago and now has a very soft frequent stool. Do not want this to get to another bout with this so what do I do? I am with holding her food right now and just have water out for her. Her last meal was her food at 5:00 last night.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the dog's name?

Zoey

Answered in 1 minute by:
1/7/2018
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Bruce. I have over 17 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

Thank you for your question about Zoey. Some dogs are more prone to bouts of pancreatitis than others. For some of those, eating things that are rich / new to them can cause flare ups. At this time with her, the loose stools that she's having could be due to the bacteria in her colon being off from the new food and not necessarily due to pancreatitis. What you could do to see if this will resolve on its own at home is to feed a bland diet of 1/3 boiled chicken with 2/3 boiled white rice for a few days. This can allow some to have their intestinal flora return to normal. Then transitioning back to the Royal Canin would be the next step. IF the diarrhea persists despite the bland diet, a fecal evaluation by your vet would be good and then they could most likely start some medications to help correct the diarrhea. I would be more worried if he was to stop eating / start vomiting.

should i wait to feed her the chicken and rice until later today to let her stomach settle?

If there hasn't been any vomiting, I wouldn't feel that there is a need to hold out to later.

Thanks

I am hoping for the best for Zoey. It is hard to keep them out of things that they just want. I have an 8 month old puppy that insists that the geriatric dog's food is the one she should be on! I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian