Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My 15 lb poodle just ate 1/3 of a stryofycup. S arlet age 3…

Customer Question
My 15 lb poodle...

My 15 lb poodle just ate 1/3 of a stryofycup

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the poodle will be able to digest that. What is the poodle's name and age?

S arlet age 3 years

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the poodle's name?

Scarlet

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Scarlet?

Generally healthy

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
1/7/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Peter, Veterinarian replied 1 month ago
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply ASAP.

1- How long has it been since she ate the styrofoam cup?

2- Do you have hydrogen peroxide 3%?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok

2- Do you have hydrogen peroxide 3%?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
About 15-20 minutes
Yes have peroxide
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Won’t that be bad for her?

Please give me 5-10 minutes to type your answer. No need to accept the phone call request. Thank you.

Friend, the concern with the ingestion of a styrofoam cup would be a possible obstruction. I would try to get her vomit with hydrogen peroxide 3%. This is what you can do:

1- Give her 1/2 tablespoon of hydrogen peroxide 3% orally to induce vomiting.

2- Allow her to walk for a minute and move her belly to mix stomach content with peroxide. If she does not vomit within 5-10 minutes, repeat it again. Can give a total of 3 times 5-10 minutes apart.

3- If she does not vomit or you do not see the styrofoam in the vomit change her diet for the next 2-3 days to rice (75%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (25%). The idea is for the rice to help pass the styrofoam cup in the feces. Make sure you check her stool; if you do not see the styrofoam in the stool within 48 hours I would have her checked by your family veterinarian.

4- If during the next few days you see the following symptoms: lethargy, anorexia, vomiting, constipated or diarrhea, etc. follow up immediately with a veterinarian. These are all signs of a possible obstruction of the intestinal tract. In the meantime, observe her and change her diet as above then wean her back into her regular diet.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service. If you have any follow-up questions don't hesitate to ask. If finished, please take a moment to rate my service it is how I get compensated. See you again soon!

Dr. Peter

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Really about 30 minutes because live been waiting so long and it took me5 minutes to get home from the
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian