Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My beagle about 6-7 years old had a bad tooth. We had the…

Customer Question
My beagle about 6-7...

My beagle about 6-7 years old had a bad tooth. We had the tooth removed but now he has constant inflammation at the site. We brought him to a dental vet who did a complete examine, removed several more teeth, removed a bone fragment from the original tooth that was the problem and cleaned the teeth. He said that Charlie tested positive for stomatitis. He recommended pulling all the teeth which we felt was extreme. We have been controlling the inflammation with steroids but Charlie has never been the same. If I don't get the timing just right on the steroid the one area where the bad tooth was will swell, he try's to itch it and he seems to loose his vision and hearing. Any thoughts on how I can get him back to normal? This pattern has been going on for over 7-8 months now.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the dog's name?

Charlie

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Charlie?

He was a stray, had been adopted by three families before us. Was a handful, jumping on counters, tearing things up, etc. now he just sleeps most if the time. I don't mind the bad behavior going away but his whole personality went with it. I am worried he is constantly uncomfortable.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 3 days by:
1/11/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Meghan Denney, Dog Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Dr. Meghan Denney
Dr. Meghan Denney, Dog Veterinarian

Hi, I am Dr. Denney. I am currently reviewing your post now. Please give me a few minutes to type my response. Thank you for trusting us with your question. This service is used for general information only and is no substitute for a veterinarian-patient relationship by examination.

I am sorry for the delay in someone getting to your question I am just coming online and saw it had not been answered yet.

Can you tell me if Charlie has had dental x-rays done to check the health of the jaw bone and check for bone loss, inflammation or infection?

He had a complete set of xrays done when they knocked him out the second time and removed more teeth and cleaned up the spot where the original bad tooth was. He does/did have inflammation at the spot where that tooth was removed and was treated with Orbax. As soon as we stopped it, the inflammation came right back. We then put him on the steroids - about 1/3 a tablet every day and a half -which is about as long as he can go.

I would be a concerned there may be a cancerous process going on, or a deep bone infection that needs stronger antibiotics than the Orbax for 4-6 weeks with post-antibiotic xrays to confirm the bone infection is gone. Have his lymph nodes under his jaw been enlarged?

Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian