Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I think she has an ear infection and our regular vet is

Customer Question
I think she has...

I think she has an ear infection and our regular vet is closed on Sunday’s.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What sort of animal are we talking about?

Yellow lab, female, 12.5

Veterinarian's Assistant: Maybe I'm confused. I thought you had a problem with a pet. Is that correct?

Yes

Veterinarian's Assistant: There are all sorts of infections the lab can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the lab's name?

Labrador retriever

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
She’s had ear infections before and the symptoms are typical - shaking her head often. I cleaned her ear and I did get some brown, rusty junk. There is no odor. Her name is Emma.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
1/7/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 3 months ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Does she have any redness or inflammation with the ear as well?

No, just they typical head shaking.
She likes when we rub it.

Thank you,

Now based on the discharge you have described, we likely have a yeast or eat mite based infection. Therefore, we do want to keep up on cleaning this ear out 2-3 times daily. There are a range of anti-yeast cleaners OTC on the market but in a pinch we can use salt water (1tbsp salt to a pint warm water). As well, to tackle mites, we can use a multi-species anti-parasitic spot on like Selamectin (Revolution) or Advantage Multi as these target ear mites as well. Finally, you can also consider an antihistamine at this stage as it can just reduce any underlying allergic irritation (common in dogs with recurrent ear problems). Most commonly we use Benadryl/Diphenhydramine (0.5-2 mg per pound of their body weight every 8-12 hours) to reduce allergic irritation. We like to keep the dose low, as it can cause drowsiness (just like people). And of course, this medication shouldn't be used if your wee one has any pre-existing conditions or is on any other medication without speaking to your vet first. And if we can get Emma feeling better and reduce that discharge, we can treat and monitor. Ofcourse, any inflammation, pus or odor and we'd want her checked once her vet is open to ensure there is no bacterial component we may need antibiotics for.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** as this is the only way I am credited for my work here & allowing me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you.**

It has been very cold here in the Northeast, below freezing. She goes out for a minute or two relieves herself and comes back in. Could the windy cold have caused an earache?

Hi again,

Not usually, we can see them more prone if the weather is warm (leaving the ear canal temperature high) or if they've been swimming (with the moisture) but usually the chill won't do that.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

*********************************

I aim to provide the best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please take the time rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) afterwards as otherwise the site does not credit me for helping you. There is no extra fee for this (its included in your question fee). Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you for helping me to keep helping everyone here. : )**

I agree. That’s why I am confused. She usually gets swimmers ear. I rarely see one this time of year.

It can be tricky since everything from underlying allergies to ear canal narrowing to it being warmer in the house can play a role but hopefully if we reduce the discharge and with it any yeast/mite load we can help her fight this off and settle.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

*********************************

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian